The Office supports the National Data Commissioner who is responsible for overseeing the DATA Scheme and fostering best practice data handling and sharing to:
- serve the public interest by promoting better availability of public sector data
- enable the sharing of public sector data consistent with the Privacy Act 1988 and appropriate security safeguards
- enhance integrity and transparency in sharing public sector data
- build confidence in the use of public sector data, and
- establish institutional arrangements for sharing public sector data.
The ONDC sits within the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.