The Office of the National Data Commissioner released the Best Practice Guide to Applying Data Sharing Principles in 2019.
The guide outlines the Data Sharing Principles and provides a common operating model within the public service to help with consistent and shared practices for data management.
The 5 Data Sharing Principles are:
- Project - the purpose for sharing data.
- Data - the level of detail in the data.
- Settings - the environment in which the data will be used.
- People - who is accessing the data.
- Outputs - what results can be made public.
A brochure and video is also available that explains how the government uses and manages public sector data.
The guide has been designed to provide general guidance and is not tied to the future Data Availability and Transparency Act and the government data sharing scheme.
Guidance on how to apply the Data Sharing Principles when using the data sharing scheme will be published in 2021.
Sharing data safely video