The Data Availability and Transparency Bill 2020 was introduced to the Australian Parliament on Wednesday, 9 December 2020.
Once enacted, the Bill will create the Data Availability and Transparency Act (DATA) scheme that will help organisations to request controlled access to government data for 3 purposes:
- improving government service delivery
- informing government policy and programs
- research and development.
The DATA scheme will be overseen by the National Data Commissioner, an independent regulator who will make sure all scheme participants are adhering to the scheme’s safety and security requirements.
The DAT Bill is currently before the Australian Parliament.
A copy of the DAT Bill is available on the Australian Parliament House website.
You will also find copies of:
- the DAT Bill’s Explanatory Memorandum
- the Minister for Government Services’ Second Reading Speech.